Some upcoming public events in and around Newton County:
• covington on ice open for the season at The Rink at Legion Field at 3173 Mill St. NE in Covington. The seasonal attraction will be open through February 19, 2023. For more information, including pricing and hours of operation, visit icedays.com/covington.
• early voting for the US Senate runoff elections daily through December 2 at Prospect Church in Oak Hill at 6752 Hwy. 212 and Turner Lake Banquet Hall at 6185 Turner Lake Road NW. For hours and more information, visit https://www.co.newton.ga.us/169/Ways-to-Vote.
Friday, December 2
• The City of Porterdale Annual Christmas Parade is scheduled for Friday, December 2 at 7 pm It will include the parade along Palmetto and Main streets, photo opportunities with Santa and music by DJ Scottie. Issa Funnel Cakes and Pico’s Hot Dogs will be food vendors, according to a post on the city’s Facebook page.
Saturday, December 3
• Covington Lions Club Christmas Parade 2022, 10 a.m., on Newton Drive in Covington. The theme will be the City of Covington Bicentennial, “200 Years of History, Infinite Possibilities for the Future,” organized by the Covington Lions Club with the support of the City of Covington. The parade route will be Newton Drive, Anderson Street, Floyd Street through the plaza, Lee Street, Washington/College street, Church, Conyers and Mill street and back to Newton Drive. Online registration only at www.covingtongalions.org. Email [email protected] for more information.
• Covington Mistletoe Market, 9am-noon, in the park in the middle of Covington Square. More than 40 vendors are scheduled. For more information, email [email protected] or visit https://www.facebook.com/CovingtonGAFarmersMarket.
Tuesday, December 6
• Election day for the US Senate Runoff Election, 7 am to 7 pm For more information, visit https://www.co.newton.ga.us/167/Board-of-Elections-Registration .
Thursday, December 8
• santa claus workshop, 6-8 p.m., Turner Lake Park, 6185 Turner Lake Road, Covington. Features holiday crafts, games, prizes, an appearance from Santa and more. Hosted by Newton County Parks and Recreation. For more information, call 770-786-4373.
Friday, December 9
• Hope concert for the holidays7-9 p.m., Covington Elks Lodge, 135 Crowell Road. Presented by Doug Jones & Friends, the event will feature live entertainment, door prizes and light refreshments. Free admission with an unwrapped toy.
• “Oh Holy Night: A Covington Community Nativity” 5:30-8:30 pm, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 10235 Eagle Drive, Covington. The free event features hundreds of Nativity displays, including a live Nativity. For more information, visit www.nativitiesofcovington.org.
Saturday, December 10
• Christmas Dinner and Dance7-11 p.m., 135 Crowell Road, Covington. Hosted by Covington Elks Lodge. Music of the Jades. Tickets are $20. RSVP to Theresa Parker at 678-925-3602 by December 1st.
• Covington Mistletoe Market, 9 am-noon, Heirloom Park at The Welcome Center, 1143 Oak St. SE. More than 40 suppliers are expected to participate. For more information, email [email protected] or visit https://www.facebook.com/CovingtonGAFarmersMarket.
• “Oh Holy Night: A Covington Community Nativity” 4:30-7:30 pm, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 10235 Eagle Drive, Covington. The free event features hundreds of Nativity displays, including a live Nativity. For more information, visit www.nativitiesofcovington.org.
Saturday, December 17
• Mansfield Christmas Celebration, 4-7 pm Hay rides, petting zoo, pie ride and more are planned. For more information, visit the Facebook page for the City of Mansfield, Georgia.
Email your upcoming events to [email protected], or mail them to 1166 Usher St., Covington, GA 30014.