The American Red Cross has announced a series of blood drives in all corners of Surry County throughout January in what a spokesperson calls an effort “to save and sustain lives in our communities.”
While many activities have been curtailed over the holidays, the need for blood in surgical and other procedures has continued.
And to help keep supplies adequate, the Winston-Salem Red Cross office, which coordinates blood drives in Surry, has released this schedule of those that are open to the public, starting next week:
• Tuesday at the Surry American Red Cross Building, 844 Westlake Drive, Mount Airy, 1:30-6:00 pm;
• Wednesday, Copeland Community Ruritan Building, 975 Copeland School Road, Dobson, 2-6:30 pm;
• Thursday, Lifepoint Church, 1785 N. Bridge St., Elkin, 9 am to 2 pm;
• January 7, Antioch Baptist Church, 137 Antioch Ave., Mount Airy, 9:30 am to 2 pm;
• Jan. 7, Mount Airy First Presbyterian Church, 326 S. Main St., noon to 4:30 pm;
• January 8, Calvary Baptist Church, 314 S. Franklin Road, Mount Airy, 11 am to 3:30 pm;
• Jan. 12, Sulfur Springs Baptist Church, 164 Sulfur Springs Church Road, Pilot Mountain, 2-6:30 pm;
• January 16, Elkin Rescue Squad Building, 940 N. Bridge St., 1:30-6 pm;
• January 16, Highland Park Baptist Church, 1327 Grove Lane, Mount Airy, 1-6 pm;
• January 17, Shoals Elementary School, 1800 Shoals Road, Pinnacle, 1-5:30 pm;
• January 17, Surry American Red Cross Building, 844 Westlake Drive, Mount Airy, noon to 4 pm;
• January 18, Surry Community College-Pilot Center, 612 E Main St., Pilot Mountain, 1-5 pm;
• Jan. 23, Pilot Mountain First United Methodist Church, 210 Marion St., Pilot Mountain, noon to 4:30 pm;
• January 24, Dobson Elementary School, 400 W. Atkins St., 1-5:30 pm;
• January 25, Surry American Red Cross Building, 844 Westlake Drive, Mount Airy, noon to 4 pm;
• January 25, White Plains Elementary School, 710 Cadle Ford Road, Mount Airy, 1-5:30 pm;
• January 25, Meadowview High School, 1282 McKinney Road, Mount Airy, 1-5:30 pm;
• January 26, Cedar Ridge Elementary School, 734 Flippin Road, Lowgap, 1 pm to 5:30 pm
contact, other information
Donation appointments can be made by visiting Give Blood or by calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
This process may also allow one to determine the availability of appointments for units on the schedule.
Potential whole blood donors must be in good health, fit and at least 16 years of age in most states, and weigh no less than 110 pounds.
An individual can give every 56 days, up to six times a year, according to information from the Red Cross.