The St. Cloud State University men’s hockey team earned a home victory over the University of Manitoba in an exhibition game Friday night, while the Gopher women’s basketball team fell on the road against Maryland, the St. Cloud Norsemen dropped a close one in Aberdeen, and the Minnesota Timberwolves blew an 11-point first-half lead in Milwaukee. On Saturday, the Minnesota Wild will look to get back in the win column when they travel to St. Louis, the Gopher men’s hockey team will play at Bemidji State and the St. Cloud State basketball teams host MSU-Moorhead.
– He does not. 4 The SCSU men’s hockey team beat Manitoba 5-2 in an exhibition matchup at the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center on Friday. The Huskies outscored the Bisons 39-16 in the win. Five different players scored goals for St. Cloud. The Huskies remain at 14-4 overall and will host the no. 2/3 University of Minnesota men’s hockey team on Jan. 7.
– The Gophers fell behind early and couldn’t recover, falling 107-85 to no. 16/17 Md. Diamond Miller led the Terrapins with 22 points, while Alanna Micheaux led Minnesota with 22 points and nine rebounds. The Gophers fall to 8-6 and 1-2 in the Big Ten. They will return home to host Ohio State (14-0) in another conference matchup on Thursday at 7:00 p.m.
– The Norsemen lost to the Wings 3-2 in Friday night’s shootout. Kade Peterson scored both of St. Cloud’s goals in the loss. Tomas Bolo made 26 saves and allowed two goals. The Nordics drop to 12-12-1-2 and the Wings improve to 16-9-1-2. The teams will close out the series with the second game at 7:15 pm on Saturday night in Aberdeen.
– The Timberwolves stumbled in the second half, falling 123-114 to the Bucks on the road. Giannis Antetokounmpo led all scorers with 43 points for Milwaukee. Anthony Edwards led Minnesota with 30 points. The Wolves drop to 16-20 and will return home to host Detroit (9-29) on Saturday. Pregame coverage begins at 6:30 p.m. on AM 1240 and 95.3 FM WJON.
– The Wild (20-13-2) will look to get back in the win column when they take on the Blues (17-16-3) in St. Louis on Saturday. This is the first regular season matchup between the teams this year. The two last met in a preseason game in October. Pregame coverage begins at 4:45 p.m. on AM 1390 and 93.9 FM Granite City Sports.
– The Gopher (15-5) men’s hockey team will take on Bemidji State (9-5-4) in an exhibition game on Saturday. The Gophers are 20-2-1 all-time against the Beavers and have won the last two in a row. Puck-drop is scheduled for 5:00 p.m.
– The SCSU men’s basketball team (5-6) will host MSU-Moorhead (9-2) on Saturday. This is the first meeting between the teams this season. St. Cloud trails the Dragons in the overall series 5-14 and has lost the last five, including a 92-77 loss in February. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:00 pm in Halenbeck Hall.
– The SCSU women’s basketball team (7-3) will also face the Dragons (6-3) at home on Saturday. The Huskies lead the series 15-14 and won 60-49 in February. The matchup is scheduled to begin at 1:00 p.m.
LOOK: Fashions and fashions of Christmas gifts of the last century
LOOK: The best miniature golf in each state