It’s a new year and that means new fun events all over Shreveport. Whether you’re looking for live music, seeing a show, or getting ready to kick off the Mardi Gras season, here’s what’s happening in Shreveport.
Friday, January 6
- Live music at Bear’s – Head out at 9:00 pm for drinks and an amazing lineup of local bands Moonrust, Star Chamber, and Makeshift Tapedeck. A $10 cap gets you in the door. Bear’s is located at 1401 Fairfield Ave. in Shreveport.
- The color Purple at the Marjorie Lyons Theater – Stage Center is staging a production of the acclaimed play The color Purple as its first show of its 12th season with the theme “Backlot to Broadway” where all the upcoming productions made famous by their film counterparts. Tickets start at $20 and can be purchased at the Stage Center website. The color Purple It will run until Sunday, January 8. Marjorie Lyons Playhouse is located at 2700 Woodlawn Ave. in Shreveport.
- Harry Potter Escape Room at Shreve Memorial Library – It’s time to defeat the Dark Arts in this Harry Potter-themed escape room at the Broadmoor branch of the Shreve Memorial Library. The escape room is designed for groups of 2-6 people and participants must register as a group in advance. This event is appropriate for people ages 12 and up. This is a free event and will be open from 10 am to 5:45 pm until Saturday, January 7. The Broadmoor branch is located at 1212 Captain Shreve Dr. in Shreveport.
Plus:Look back at some of the biggest stories from the Shreveport and Bossier communities in 2022
Saturday, January 7
- 2023 Vision Board / Memory Box Art Experience at Wet Paint Arts – Bring your new year goals and creativity to Wet Paint Arts to create a wooden box of your aspirations and create the box of your dreams to hold all your 2023 memories and celebrations. Tickets start at $55 and include all supplies to make your box and can be purchased on the Event Brite page. Head over to Wet Paint Arts at 717 Crockett St. in Shreveport from 1-3 p.m.
- Mardi Gras 12th Night Launch Party in Phoenix 2.0 Hosted by The Krewe of Gemini – Kick off the Mardi Gras season with a fun-filled night of music by The Wonderfuls from 7 pm to midnight. You must be over 21 to attend, Mardi Gras attire is recommended, and there will be food trucks on site. Tickets are $70 at the door and include an open bar. Phoenix 2.0 is located at 400 Commerce St. in Shreveport.
- Mardi Gras Book Signing at Lowder Baking Co. – Author Matt Haines will be at Lowder’s to sign copies of King Cake’s Big Book Y The King Cake book. The books will be available for purchase at the event, and you can get your first Lowder King Cake of the Mardi Gras season while you’re there! Visit us from 11 am to 1 pm at 4019 Fern Ave. Ste. 500 in Shreveport.
Meredith G. White is the arts and culture reporter for the Shreveport Times. You can find her on Facebook as Meredith G. White, on Instagram and Twitter like @meredithgwhite and email her at [email protected]