No matter who is left on the holiday shopping list, San Marcos, Buda and Kyle has several local shops and businesses with gift ideas for people of all interests. This list is not exhaustive.
for the gourmet
1. Granny’s Bakery daily makes a variety of Mexican sweet bread and other baked goods, such as pan dulce, conchas, empanadas and more. Abuelita’s also sells breakfast tacos, coffee, smoothies, and other breakfast and lunch items.
21511 I-35, Kyle
2. Insomnia Cookies it serves hot cookies and milk right at the source and is known for its late-night deliveries. There is a wide range of possible treat combinations with offerings including ice cream, cookie and ice cream sandwiches, large cookie cakes and more.
111 E. Hopkins St., San Marcos
3. Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory is known for its variety of chocolate or caramel dipped foods and confections such as apples, strawberries and truffles, as well as a variety of chocolate gift sets.
4015 I-35, Ste. San Marcos 835
4. Sweet Tarts 4U is a downtown staple specializing in pie by the slice in flavors like red velvet, carrot, and more. The shop’s daily menu also includes individual cupcakes, cookies, breads and whole cakes.
302 S. Main St., Ste. 101, Buda
For the second hand buyer
5. Antiques and more is a newer shop in the center of Buda that offers a host of antique and vintage finds of old-fashioned decorative items such as telephones, illuminated signs, functional furniture, and more.
316-B S. Main St., Buda
6. Kyle Library Thrift Store, which is not actually housed in the Kyle Public Library, was established in 1989 and is run by the Friends of the Kyle Public Library. The store sells a variety of second-hand household items such as decorative plates, glassware, and more. The store also offers clothing, toys, and more.
100 West Lockhart Street, Kyle
512-268-1036. Facebook: Kyle Library Thrift Shop
7. Ancient Soul Exchange is a newer downtown thrift and vintage store that previously operated as a pop-up store throughout Central Texas. Owner Rachel McCartney finds and sells vintage and second-hand clothing, shoes and accessories, as well as vintage and home décor items.
123 S. LBJ Dr., San Marcos
512-618-9504. Instagram: Ancient Soul Exchange SMTX
8. Buda Old Town Antique Mall sells antique, vintage, and second-hand items like art, furniture, and home decor. A little hunting can go a long way, as the store is packed with souvenirs and more.
212 Main Street, Buda
9. Solid gold Select eclectic and mid-century style furnishings and décor, including pillows, mirrors, woodwork, rugs, glassware and more. There are also a variety of expensive items, such as sofas, dining sets, beds, and more.
Guadalupe Street 164 S., San Marcos
10. Twice Blessed Consignment Shop, a brand of San Marcos First United Methodist Church, is located on the plaza and sells clothing, furniture, and other knick-knacks. Some proceeds from Twice Blessed are donated to various charities.
124 W. Hopkins St., San Marcos
512-396-1752. Facebook: Twice Blessed Consignment Store
For outdoor enthusiasts
11. 3B Outfitters sells all types of fishing equipment such as fishing rods, tackle and lines, lures, and more. The store also sells some hunting gear, clothing, accessories, and patio racks for woodpiles.
5040 SH 123, Bldg. 100, street. 2, Saint Mark
12. Buddha Bike Co. is a full service shop that specializes in bicycles. Rentals, repairs and adjustments are offered, as well as bicycle helmets and other accessories.
200 S. Main St., Buda
13. Hays County Service Providers It has the equipment for hiking, hiking, swimming, camping and more in two places. The stores carry brands like Birkenstock, Hydro Flask, Patagonia, and more with items for men, women, and pets.
690 Center Point Road, Ste. 201, San Marcos
304 Main Street, Ste. 10, Buda
14. TG Canoes and Kayaks It is located right on the San Marcos River and has all kinds of gear for a day on the water. The shop stocks canoes, kayaks, paddles and other accessories and offers repairs.
402 Pecan Park Drive, San Marcos
For the sustainability guru
15. Buff City Soap sells a selection of handmade, plant-based soaps ranging from specialty soaps to ultra-moisturizing and lathering hands. The store also offers laundry soap, store-pressed bath bombs, and more.
401 FM 1626, Ste. 310, Kyle
16. Manor Market Refill carries a range of non-toxic and cruelty-free products in bulk with reusable packaging to help eliminate waste. Shoppers can purchase skin care, body care and household cleaning products by bringing their own containers from home at a discounted price.
331 W. Hopkins St., San Marcos
for the fashionista
17. Ellipsis Boutique sells women’s clothing, jewelry, shoes, and accessories, as well as small gifts like candles and perfumes.
306 S. Main St., Ste. 105, Buda
18. KnD Boutique is a mother-daughter-owned business that sells apparel such as St. Mark’s-themed graphic tees, accessories, and other party-perfect apparel. The store also sells Texas State Bobcat equipment.
312 N. LBJ Drive, San Marcos
19. dragon fruit It has a range of fashionable clothing items such as dresses, tops, pants, skirts, shoes, accessories, and more.
230 N. LBJ Drive, San Marcos
20. Two P’s & Calli’s Gift and Shop sells women’s clothing and accessories including headbands, handbags, jewelry, and more from brands like Free People, Kendra Scott, and more.
690 Center Point Road, Ste. San Marcos 205
for the musician
21. Curious Chords Music Studio offers music lessons for a variety of instruments, including piano, clarinet, recorder, violin, and various guitars. The studio also offers music theory and composition, signing, and songwriting lessons by appointment only.
168 Kirkham Circle, Kyle
22. Music Jams sells and repairs acoustic and electric guitars and offers a variety of guitar accessories including strings, picks, straps and more.
118 S. LBJ Drive, San Marcos
23. Drums X8 sells a variety of drums, from small and handheld bongos to children’s drums and more.
251 Uhland Road, Ste. 120, San Marcos
For those new in town
24. Barefoot Campus Outfitters has all the gear from Texas State University and Bobcat to match perfectly. Shop for Bobcat gear like t-shirts, mugs, hats and more, as well as San Marcos-themed items.
300 N. LBJ Drive, San Marcos
For the animal lover
25. The San Marcos Regional Animal Shelter is an open facility for Hays County and is publicly funded, although it operates with limited resources. While a pet may be too great a gift for some, donations can be made in a person’s name to honor their love of animals and help provide medical treatment and other needs for animals.
750 Rio Street, San Marcos
26. Furry Dog Market is a local chain of pet stores with locations in San Marcos, Buda, and Kyle, offering food, treats, and toys for dogs and cats.
200 Springtown Way, Ste. 126, San Marcos
3402B FM 967, Buda
22510 I35, Ste. 106, Kyle